Boomers pledge to bushfire relief
As you would all know, Victoria (and Australia) have recently experienced extreme bushfires, which have caused significant damage and loss to properties, animals and people. Like many organisations, here at the Boomers we wanted to make sure we do our part to help. Due to having strong ties with the La Trobe Valley area, we’ve decided to focus our efforts on Gippsland, which has been ravaged by fires, and continues to be in danger.
We will therefore be raising funds this week to go to the Gippsland Emergency Relief Fund (www.gerf.org.au).
As an organisation we have collaborated, and at the game v Southside Flyers on Sunday 12 January 2020 we will be undertaking a range of activities to raise funds:
- Volunteers at the entrance to SBC with collection tins for donations
- Rare silent auction items provided by our Boomers players:
– Dinner at Rococos in St Kilda with Cayla and Maddie
– Cayla George playing shoes – designed by Penina Davidson
– Signed Maddie Garrick Boomers playing jersey
– Signed Maddie Garrick 3×3 Australian team jersey
– Signed Cayla George Opals jersey
– Signed Maddie Garrick playing shoes
– Signed NZ Tall Ferns gear
– Mon Conti & Sydney Stack signed Richmond jersey
– Signed Ezi Magbegor Opals jersey
The club will also donate $100 for every Boomers 3-point shot made, block and steal.
Funds will be tallied at the end of game, with a final figure being donated to GERF through our closest NAB branch.
Further to the above we will:
- promote donations online through our social media channels;
- run an online silent auction in the lead up to the game (details here)
- conduct a minutes silence prior to the game to honour all of those who have assisted with the bushfire efforts around the country, and for those who unfortunately lost their lives;
- provide 100 free tickets to those in the Gippsland region to attend the game on Sunday, or our next home game on Saturday 1 February; and
- visit the region and provide a basketball clinic (once things have settled down, of course).
We encourage all of our members, fans and wider basketball community to get behind us in our support of GERF and all those affected by this devastating natural distater. You can get your tickets to Sunday’s game against the Flyers here.